Monday, 1 August 2011

Sunday Paper

I'm giving some signed prints of mine to a charity shop, Kadect, in St Albans soon. The money from any prints that sell will go to the charity, hoorah!

Anyway, I don't have oodles of time to make new pics, as I am working full time (in an un-arty but nice job!) but I thought I would make at least one new image for the occasion. I did this on Sunday 31st July, and I took photos of the making of the pic along the way...just because I can.

Hope you find this mildly interesting...


I start off with the eyes. As you do.


I plonk these eyes on some yellow/cream paper, and cut a face shape. I do this freehand because I think I am better at cutting than actually drawing! Also I start cutting strips of coloured paper for hair.


As you can see, I have chosen white hair with a bit of purple. Lord knows why.


To add tone, and a sense of highlights, I have used grey/silver paper where the darker areas of hair would naturally be. I'm not very good at this!


More layers of hair are built up, and I've cut her sillouette out.


Now I give her some arms (she looks stroppy!) and a cute little paper dress and she's pretty much done.


Then I just scan into Photoshop, adjust the contrast/lightness/curves, and try out patterned backgrounds etc. I like this dotty yellow one...I think the colours look quite nice : )

There you go!

The music I listened to whilst making this was the Hanna film soundtrack by the Chemical Brothers...its quite good! I've not seen the film though...

No comments:

Post a Comment